Thursday, June 4, 2015

Teachers of the Truth

Sent May 19th, 2015:

Rakkaat ystävät,

The Elders called us yesterday evening and asked if we could take their school presentation today. In Finland there are general religion classes for everyone, and missionaries are often invited to present about the Church in these classes. There is a general PowerPoint that we use and we can give out materials like the Book of Mormon and pamphlets. Now, neither Sisar Johnston nor I have ever done a class presentation, so we were pretty nervous - mostly because Finnish teens terrify us haha. Not really, it was just a little nerve-wracking. 
What you feel like when you have very little time
 to prepare a school presentation.
Anyway, there was nothing to fear. The students were really responsive. We just acted like ourselves, and it was actually a lot of fun. We went through the slides, as well as showed the Because He Lives video and a Mormon Message about the Book of Mormon. They had a lot of great questions, and even laughed at our stupid jokes. At the end of the presentation, almost every single one of them took a Book of Mormon and a card, which was awesome. What an adrenaline rush. It went so well, and I'm really glad I got the experience. 

We had a wonderful experience on Sunday, when H, the woman I told you about with cancer, came to church. We'd informed a couple Relief Society sisters that she was coming and during Sacrament meeting there were about 5 RS sisters on the pew with her. H stayed for all three hours and was very well taken care of by the ward for the whole time. It was awesome. We had another great lesson with her last night with one of the RS counselors along. She us a rock-solid fellowshipper. We've talked a lot with H about baptism and how it can give her a fresh start, and she has expressed interest. Now we're just working on setting a date.

We did a lot of contacting, which has yet to bear a ton of fruit, but we've had a great time doing it. Sisar Johnston and I love dancing in front of doors when we go tracting. The other day, we were dancing in front of the door and I started to knock again right as it was opening. It was awkward. But fun.

Spring is coming to Finland

Another woman we met tracting wasn't interested (well, actually a lot of them weren't haha) but when we asked if she was familiar with our church, she said "Oh yeah, I was a huge Donny Osmond fan!" I hadn't heard that one yet. But she was the nicest lady and laughed more than any Finn I've ever met. 

We also had Zone Meeting last week, and it was my first one as a Sister Training Leader, which meant sitting up front. Weird. Sisar Johnston and I even presented a role play as part of the meeting, and it wasn't terrible. So that's a good sign.

I just want to testify that the Book of Mormon is true. I finished it again yesterday and started again today. I never get tired of it and I always learn something new. It truly testifies of Christ and I have come closer to Him from reading the Book of Mormon that from anything else. It truly is the work of God, and if you haven't read it, you should. It will change your life. It's changed mine.

Stay shiny!

Rakkaudella,


Sisar Hillebrant
I never tire of Finnish clouds.

Sunset in Tampere














I'm not sure - a giant burrito, maybe?

"Speak friend and enter!" . . . "Ystävä?"




No comments:

Post a Comment