Sunday, December 21, 2014

Once Upon A December

Letter received 12/1/14:

Rakkaat ystävät,

That's right, it's finally here! And is it a winter wonderland in Kuopio yet? Well, actually...no. BUT we did get a little snow yesterday and the skies are actually clear today (for the first time in a month) so it might finally be getting colder. Pray for it.

Some big news items:

-U, the nice older woman, dropped us. She gave us a call Monday afternoon tellign us that she wasn't really feeling it right now, and that, perhaps because she didn't understand all the passages in the Book of Mormon that she had read, she just didn't feel like learning any more at the moment. It makes me really sad that her reason for not meeting was lack of jaksaa (she just doesn't feel like it, which is in fact a perfectly valid excuse in Finland, no matter what the situation, believe it or not), because I know for a fact that this gospel is EXACTLY what she needs right now (not to mention forever), and she just can't see it the way I do. Booo, sadness.

-In a happier category, our lovely young M decided on a baptismal date! She picked January 24, which, granted, is a little far in the future, but right now we are giving the choice to her. Originally we had presented an earlier date in December and she had kind of balked at the idea, so we don't want to push her right now to move it up. The important point here, though, is that she actually picked her own date. She wasn't one of those "I don't know, some time in the future maybe" people. She said she'd be ready in January and picked her own date, and by golly she will be ready in January. Can I just tell you again how cool she is? She keeps her commitments, she prays (with us and without us) and she feels good about everything she's learning, not to mention she is already gaining a testimony that Joseph Smith was a prophet, and the first thing that seemed cool to her about the Plan of Salvation was that we are Resurrected because Jesus Christ was resurrected. So she is pretty awesome.

-We had a lovely Thanksgiving. Our BML, who is an American, provided a real American Thanksgiving dinner, complete with turkey (which, mind you, costs like 40€ in Finland, if not more) and lots and lots of pie. I made stuffing and rolls. The stuffing turned out really well, but the rolls were kind of a flop. But you take what you can get when you live on a missionary schedule and don't have time to experiment.

-We performed our musical number, Savior Redeemer of My Soul, in Sacrament meeting on Sunday, and the branch really loved it. They all seem to be musically inclined in some way (tons of violinists, pianists, vocalists, a cellist, so on and so forth), so they really appreciate a good musical number. I mean appreciate in the sense that they have a "special musical number" every. Single. Sunday.

I've sung this song quite a few times, but this time I really thought about the meaning more than ever. Throughout my mission I've worried that I'm not changing enough, that I'm not trusting enough, that I'm not working hard enough, that I'm not feeling the Savior walking with me enough. But I think we sometimes get caught in the trap of comparing our current self with our future self, rather than with our past self. We only notice the progress we still need to make and not the progress we already have made. I realized that it was like looking at photographs of myself from 10 years ago. When I was growing up, I didn't notice the differences and changes day to day; but looking back over a longer period of time, I really see how much I have changed: I'm taller (well, not that much taller), I have better teeth, I've lost my baby fat, I look more mature. My mission has been like that. I haven't noticed the changes along the way, but looking back from where I am right now, I recognize how different I am, and for the better. I cannot at all imagine who I would be right now had I not chosen to serve a mission. The Lord has been guiding me the whole time, and I've been shaped and chastened and refined. And I'm not even done yet. Long story short, it was a really powerful experience for me as I sang those words on Sunday to realize that they were in fact pertinent to me, and that I am in fact on my way to aligning my will with the Lord's and to being more in harmony with Him.

-Sunday afternoon was the most relaxing Sunday afternoon I've had in almost a year (aka since before my mission). Sisar Bunting got sick, so after church we came home and didn't leave the apartment for the rest of the night. It was kind of bizarre just sitting at home, but I got to finish a couple projects I've been needing to finish for weeks now. And we blew through a couple movies too, namely The Testaments (in Finnish for out language study), Legacy, and one of the District DVDs. Our libraby is pretty limited as missionaries. Let's just say that I can pretty much quote Legacy word for word. Don't judge.

But I guess I really must be a missionary, because the whole evening, I felt kinda fidgety and ineffective. It took me a while to figure out why, but soon realized that it was because we hadn't been outside and hadn't really done anything. At home I love just sitting around for a day doing my own projects and watching movies, but as a missioanry it's kind of freaky to feel like you haven't accomplished anything that day. So that's a mentality I just realized I actually have.

Well friends, welcome to December, the season of snow (sometimes), lots of baked things (at the right times), and remembering the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ (all the time). Don't forget to serve others, to love everyone, and to give your best gifts to Christ.

Also check out christmas.mormon.org and consider sharing it with friends. It's a really easy way to do missionary work over the holiday season. After all, He is the reason.

Have a lovely week and stay shiny!

Rakkaudella,

Sisar Hillebrant

No comments:

Post a Comment