Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Diary of an Expecting Mother

Rakkaat ystävät,

Did you read that right? You bet you did! With the New Year in Finland comes some pretty big changes for me: That's right, I'm going to be training! If you didn't know, missionary "slang" for a trainer and a trainee are parent and child. So this week I will be receiving my very own newborn missionary. I'm really, really excited for this chance, and I know there is probably going to be more learning on my end than on hers. I'm going down to Helsinki tomorrow with Sisar Bunting where we will part ways -- she will go home, and I will pick up my new companion and come back up to Kuopio to show her the ropes. Pray for me (and for her, that poor girl who has to be trained by me haha)!

Some pretty fun stuff has been happening here.

We had a great Christmas week with lots of good food, lots of snow, and lots of awesome members taking care of us. We were with a really great member family all day Christmas Eve. The day was chock-full of wonderful Christmas traditions.

The Roast 
We started with the meal right away, which consisted of a giant pork roast, smoked salmon, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, carrot casserole, rutabaga casserole, Karelian paiste (some kind of roast meet in a broth with carrots and other stuff - it's really good) and a few other things including pickled herring (which I tried and don't like. Sorry parents, I know I'm a disappointment). After a break and a game of Cranium in Finnish, we went to go see the candles at the cemetery, and it was just so pretty. I can't explain how beautiful it was, but I will send photos for my blog.  
The meal


Candles in the Cemetery
The highlight of the night was when Joulupukki came to visit! Since Santa lives in Finland, he comes on Christmas Eve to visit the children and give them their presents, then goes to the rest of the world (he promised that he would. of course, go to mine and Sisar Bunting's families first). He came to visit and gave ua all our gifts, then when he had left we got to open them.

Don't show this to the president!
Like I said, they took really good care of us. I got a pair of hand-knit mittens, among a few other wonderful and thoughtful gifts. We ended the evening (after Sisar Bunting Skype-called home) with a dessert of Glögi, joulu tarts and leftover ham.

Christmas day was spent with a member family that we've been working with for a while. The mother really wanted to make an American-style turkey, so we spent the bulk of the day preparing and stuffing a turkey and making various other side dishes. I am proud to say that the turkey turned out well (if perhaps a little dry) and the stuffing I made was delicious. Plus, Sisar Bunting made a killer gravy, the likes of which I have not before tasted.

The Turkey
The Meal

We also made a point of visiting a couple old less-active women that have no family in Kuopio, and hopefully were able to bring them some Christmas cheer. We then ended the day with another member family who provided more Christmas leftovers and a computer so I could Skype home. I couldn't have asked for a better Christmas

We only met with two investigators this week. The first is a big burly Finnish man who is interested, but we are going to give him to the Elders to teach because he won't really open up to us, and we don't think we're what he needs right now. We also met with M who is now back from her jaunt out of country. She is awesome. While she was gone she read the Book of Mormon! We discussed the Holy Ghost with her on Saturday, and she said that she believes everything is true! We are so excited for her. We also met another young Finnish woman on the street last night. She is religious herself and already has a strong belief in God. She happily accepted a Book of Mormon and a return appointment. Her name is T, and I will keep you updated!

I'm sure you all had a great Christmas, and now with the New Year approaching, remember who the master of new beginnings is. Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, we can all turn the page and we can all move on and start fresh. What is a goal you can make to become a little better, through Him, this year?

Happy New Year, and stay shiny!

Rakkaudella,


Sisar Hillebrant



Our tree on Christmas morning.


All the chocolate we got.




No comments:

Post a Comment