Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Happy Independence Day, Everyone!

Rakkaudella ystäviä!

Happy Independence Day, everyone! Well, last week anyway. We got to spend the evening with the Merrills, the American family in our ward. They made real American hamburgers (some of the best I've ever had) and there was makara as well (Finnish version of hot dogs) so we got a little of both. We had such a good evening. The Merrills are like the perfect happy little family and I just love them so much!

On Tuesday we had splits with the Sister Training Leaders in Tampere, and I was with Sisar Foster again. We had a really great day and I learned a lot from her about contacting people, especially on the street. On Wednesday there was a Zone Meeting where we met President Watson and his wife! They are such wonderful people and seem pretty fun and I am excited to work with them.

Sisar Foster and I take the work very seriously.
On Thursday evening, the Bishop's family invited us over. They had invited a few other people from the ward, many of whom were less-actives and part-member families, and made a ton a crepes (can't remember what they are called in Finnish) and we just had a really good time. We also had a chance to share a message with everyone in a really casual and comfortable setting. The Bishop's family are such great missionaries and fellowshippers. This ward is really blessed to have them, and so are we!

Something we've been talking a lot about in our district has been the idea of reconsecrating ourselves and our areas - just starting back at the beginning with the basics. Yesterday Sisar Ross and I decided to take advantage of our fast to rededicate ourselves and the area to the Lord. There is a big hill in the middle of downtown Turku, so we climbed to the top of it where we could see much of the city, found a quiet place, and prayed for the Lord's help to consecrate the city to finding the prepared people. After church we had some blank time so we went to try and contact some formers. We hadn't found any new investigators yet, and throughout the evening, we talked to a ton of really cool people, and we finally did find a new investigator, an older Finnish man who seems very genuinely interested in the Book of Mormon. I know that when we make the Lord the center of the work that miracles will happen. I just think of Alma and Ammon and the other sons of Mosiah, and how because the fasted and prayed much and studied the scriptures, that when they kept the Lord in the middle of everything and relied on Him, they truly were able to perform miracles among the Lamanites.

Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever.  Alma 26:12 


I love you all so much and am so grateful for the wonderful lives you are living. Trust in God and make Him the center of your lives and great things will happen.

Stay shiny!

Rakkaudella,
Sisar Hillebrant

No comments:

Post a Comment