Saturday, May 17, 2014

Best Week Ever!

Rakas ystäviä,

Another week done and gone, and I am no longer in training! Look, Ma, I'm a real missionary! That's right folks, last week was my last week as a trainee, so now we're down to just 3 hours of studies a day, and I'm ready to spread my wings and fly as far as my area boundaries will let me. 

Spring in Finland means wild flowers everywhere.
Tuesday we were in Tampere for Zone Meeting, after which we took a language test! Man, I thought I was free of those for another year! Sisar Howell and I went on splits in the afternoon with the Sister Training Leaders, Sisaret Foster and Jones. I was with Sisar Foster for the day and we had a good time walking all over the place trying to find our way from an appointment out in the boonies back to the church. Missionary life, man. We spent the night there, then took the train back to Turku. 

We had a great lesson with j the red haired college guy. We taught him the Law of Tithing and when we asked if he would pay tithing after baptism (did I mention we rescheduled a date for June 14th?), he said "Totta kai!" Of course! If, that is, he has received his answer if it's true. This guy is just SO GOLDEN, he just needs to know it's true!

We had a fun miracle happen on Thursday. I told you all about the Iranian woman we've been teaching, who stopped us on the street to ask us about a Persian Book of Mormon. We had Weekly Planning that day and we just decided to call her and ask when she was free to meet, and she said she could meet that evening at 6! We asked if we could come at 5 and she was so cute, she was like "Oh but Sisters, my house is such a mess!" We just laughed and told her it was fine and we quickly got to a good stopping point in our planning to rush out to meet her. We also had a superstar member, who actually just returned from her mission serving right here in Finland and was able to come with us last minute, and we had SUCH a great lesson. The Lord has such a big hand in this woman's preparation. She's going to be ready someday soon, I can just feel it.

Sunday was Mother's Day! Which means I got to Skype with my family! We went over to the home of our favorite American family, who had just had a baby, so we made them dinner then Skyped while they ate. It was SO GOOD to be able to see my family, let alone just hear their voices, after 5 months (3 if we're talking voices because we got to call home from the airport). We only got to talk for less than an hour, but the time was so worth it. They asked me to bear my testimony to them in Finnish, and I didn't realize how powerful it was until I started crying. It was just so cool that I had the chance to share what I know with all my heart - that we are all Heavenly Father's children, that He loves us, and that His true church is the same all around the world, that we have His words in the Book of Mormon, and that Joseph Smith was a prophet, and that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord's true church established on the earth in this day to prepare for the Second Coming of Jesus Christ - in the language of the people I am serving with my family, who is on the complete other side of the world. If that isn't the best experience ever, I don't know what is. And I hope it made Mom's day, because it definitely made mine :)

Well, folks, that's all for this week. I think this might be my shortest e-mail since being in the country, which is doing wonders for my e-mailing time. It's a Christmas miracle!

I love you all and am so grateful for your thoughts and prayers. Have a great week and stay shiny!

Rakkaudella, 

Sisar Hillebrant




No comments:

Post a Comment