Tuesday, April 22, 2014

My First Change Call!

Rakas ystäviä!

Last Friday marked my 4 month anniversary of being a missionary. Isn't it crazy how quickly time flies? One more change (transfer), and I will only have a year left! Well, actually, it might actually be less than that because my official release date is June 2, but I guess that could change, so we'll see what happens. I have made it through my first change in Finland! The die has been cast, the calls have been made, and I will be...DRUMROLL PLEASE! (buddrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)...  Staying in Turku to finish training with Sisar Howell! Surprise!

OK, maybe not that much of a surprise, but we certainly got a little nervous when President called on Thursday morning instead of Saturday morning. But I'm so happy I get to stay in Turku for at least another change because I love it here! Ja kevät on tulossa/on tällä! Spring is here! The last week has been beautiful, sunny and warm. We're talking around 15-20 degrees Celsius, so it's getting pretty warm. I haven't needed a jacket the last couple days, even when riding my bike. The grass is getting greener, the trees are budding, and the people are out and about and basking in the sun, which is starting to set later and later every day. Right now, it's starting to get light around 5 or so in the morning (which is annoying because sometimes it wakes me up) and doesn't really get dark until 9 or 9:30 in the evening. Soon it will be a 24-hour thing!

This week was pretty eventful. On Tuesday evening, Sisar Howell and I had a 4 hour train ride to Jyvääskylä, where we did splits on Wednesday with Sisaret Dixon and Cribbs. I was with Sisar Dixon, and it was fun to be with someone for a day who was fresh out of training (she's only been here 1 change more than me - btw, changes/transfers in Finland are 9 weeks instead of 6). We had a really fun time together. She is way good at just stopping people on the street to talk to, even if her Finnish is still beginner (but better than mine!). Its was way fun to see her just care and love people and talk to them, even if she didn't understand everything they said. That's definitely something I need to work on.

A sad thing that happened this week is that the Mortensens left! They fly home to America on Wednesday, and they left Turku yesterday evening to spend a couple days in Helsinki before they leave the country. It's going to be very weird not having them around because they are two of the greatest people on the planet. Sisar Mortensen came with us on tons of lessons, the two of them had us over all the time for language lessons and sometimes to feed us, and we knew we could always just give them a call if we had questions or stop by if we needed something or even just teach them a lesson or spiritual thought if we had a spare moment. They have done so much for the wards here and for the Young Single Adults especially, and Turku will be a little emptier without them.

But of course the highlight of my week was the Easter weekend! Easter seems like a bigger deal here in Finland because it is a 4-day holiday weekend. On Friday, we couldn't go door to door, so we couldn't piihpataa anyone (pop in and say hi), so unless we had plans it was hard to do anything except street or bus contacting. 

All the Turku missionaries before the Mortensen's left

Saturday was pretty normal, except that the other Turku sisters had an investigator get baptized! Woohoo! He is a way great guy and is going to be a super valuable addition and awesome priesthood holder in the church here in Finland. In the evening, we had dinner with an awesome family whose grandmother has been a potential investigator forever. We had been trying to set something up with her and she invited us to join her and her family (who is in the other ward, but the YSA-age daughter comes with us all the time on lessons) for their family Easter dinner! There was lamb and salmon, both of which I really like, and I tried some kind of fish (I think it was pickled herring?) that was in some kind of mayonnaise with various weird green plants that I liked less. The best part of the meal was the mämmi, a traditional Finnish Easter dessert which is basically a rye pudding that you eat with cream and sugar. I love it! We shared a thought with them and will hopefully be stopping by to visit the grandma this evening. 

Easter Sunday morning bloomed bright and warm and beautiful! We had church and attended both wards' sacrament meetings because we had an investigator coming to the other ward for convenience - and also because the man who got baptized on Saturday was getting confirmed in church and we wanted him to see that. Unfortunately he came late and missed it, but he did talk to the guy a little after the meeting. Sisar Howell and I also performed a musical number, Savior Redeemer of My Soul. I sang it in Finnish (it's in the hymnbook!) and Sisar Howell played the piano. It went really well, and has a really awesome Easter message. In fact here are the lyrics:

11. Savior, Redeemer of my soul,
Whose mighty hand hath made me whole,
Whose wondrous pow'r hath raised me up
And filled with sweet my bitter cup!
What tongue my gratitude can tell,
O gracious God of Israel.
2    2. Never can I repay thee, Lord,
But I can love thee. Thy pure word,
Hath it not been my one delight,
My joy by day, my dream by night?
Then let my lips proclaim it still,
And all my life reflect thy will.
3    3. O'errule mine acts to serve thine ends.
Change frowning foes to smiling friends.
Chasten my soul till I shall be
In perfect harmony with thee.
Make me more worthy of thy love,
And fit me for the life above.
I just think that is so powerful! Christ really is our Savior, and he loves us and has given us so many great blessings. We can't repay Him, but we can share His love and gospel with everyone we know. Don't be afraid to talk to your friends and loved ones about the true message of the Restored gospel. It has blessed many of you, and it can bless them too! 

Sunday evening, we got invited over last minute by an awesome family in the ward for Easter dinner leftovers (the big meal is eaten on Saturday). Even though it was just leftovers, it was still delicious!

Today is the last day of the Easter holiday, which is a little harmi (annoying) because the grocery stores are closed so we can't do our shopping until tomorrow. But other than that, it has been a really beautiful, uplifting Easter holiday, and it is such a good time to really think about the gift of eternal life we can receive because of the resurrection of our Savior. Like the prophet Abinadi said in Mosiah 16, "He is the light and the life of the world; yea, a light that is endless, that can never be darkened; yea, and also a life which is endless, that there can be no more death." (Mosiah 16:7-9) Death is conquered and we can live again for eternity with our families, if we are true and faithful to the Lord's gospel! Let us always remember this joyous, hopeful message and share it with the world! 

I love you all and am so grateful for you prayers and thoughts. I am grateful to be serving as a missionary in the beautiful land of Suomi and and this amazing time in the Lord's work throughout the world. I hope you all had a wonderful Easter and enjoy your week!

Rakkaudella, 

Sisar Hillebrant

No comments:

Post a Comment